1/2 c. uncooked brown rice
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp. tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground turkey
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
6 bell peppers, tops and cores removed
1 c. shredded low-fat Monterey jack
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet, then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9″-x-13″ baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with Monterey jack, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving